The Institute was created from the Laboratory for the Study of the Properties of Metals of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, which was founded in 1955 and changed to the Institute of the Properties of Metals in 1963. In 1969, the name was changed to the Institute of Physical Metallurgy. The current name was adopted in 1994. In 2007 the Statute of the Institute was changed to a public research institution, see the founding document in PDF (0,1 MB). The Institute is located near the city center.
Main Building of the Institute of Properties of Metals (1965)
The Institute of Physical Metallurgy (1975) already has an extension for the mainframe computer ICL (Opening of the computing center in 1970).